Random Posts

Monday, November 28, 2011

A Couple of Surprises

The other day I was poking around in the database of my games and stumbled on the game below.  The first surprise was when I noticed that I had actually returned to correspondence chess in 1999 after a long layoff…I thought it was 2004!  This game was played in 2004 in the finals of the CCLA open championship (started in 1999) where I finished in the top 10.  I don’t remember the exact place or who won it, but the strongest opponents I met were a couple of CC Masters; but none of the top rated CCLA players.  Most of them play in ICCF events.  My opponent in this game was rated around 2100 and the game was played using postcards.  The other surprise was that my opponent played the Beginners Opening which I have recently done a couple of posts on.  Since I lost a game against an ICCF Senior Master playing it and a 2100-rated player lost to me with it, it probably should not be played by anybody but beginners!


No comments:

Post a Comment