Random Posts

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Beginners Opening Re-Revisited

A while back I did a couple of posts on the Beginners Opening and suggested it might be worthwhile for, well, beginners to play.  I tried this opening out in correspondence play and did a post on how I was soundly defeated by an ICCF Senior Master. 

Since doing those posts a couple things happened.  First, I discovered one of my CCLA games from several years ago where my 2100+ rated opponent played it against me.  I had no idea what he was doing at the time but it didn’t matter; he lost rather badly.  Secondly, I finished the CC tournament where I played this opening in all six games, and it was a horrible idea because I had the worst results ever:  +1 -4 =1 and a last place finish. 

In one particularly unpleasant loss I ended up with all my pieces huddled on the K-side on the first to third ranks; it was pitiful. It seems that when you play this your opponent simply has too many possibilities.  In most games they seized the center then proceeded to either crash through there or they successfully coupled their center control with a breakthrough on the flank.
If you have advanced beyond the beginner stage I am going to suggest you avoid this opening and play recognized openings!

No comments:

Post a Comment