Random Posts

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

A Unique "Chess" Book

     

     Rich As A King: How the Wisdom of Chess Can Make You a Grandmaster of Investing by Susan Polgar and Douglas Goldstein. 
     I’m not fond of self-help books and don't know much about investing, but when I saw Susan Polgar's name it caught my interest. Then I discovered that 93 percent of the reviewers gave if 5 stars, so it must be a good book, right? 
     Still, how does a knowledge of chess help with investing? It sounds like a lot of the hype found in self-help books. Self-help books have become hugely popular in recent years, but I have always suspected these books are worse than useless. Of course, at some point we all need inspiration or a confidence booster, but pithy sayings, anecdotes and somebody saying, “Yes, you can!” for a couple of hundred pages doesn't seem very likely to bring about the promised amazing results. 
     The blurb says this book unlocks the secrets of chess in a tangible way so you can apply them to managing your own finances and thanks to Polgar and Goldstein, you can learn how to apply the wisdom of chess to make you a grandmaster of your investments. The book promises to show you what has been holding you back from success and show strategies which you can start using right now to manage your money...64 strategies that can make you rich as a king! Wow! 
     I was pleasantly surprised to find there is a lot of information in this book. Both the chess material and the investment information are presented in a way that is equally interesting. Even if you don't have any money to invest, the chess content alone will keep you entertained. As for the investment instruction, it sounds reasonable.  Unfortunately for me, I am both as good at chess and as rich as I am ever going to be.  At least there wasn't any buyer's remorse over the $17 the book cost which is more than I can say of some chess books I've bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment