Random Posts

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A Tough Loss


    Back in March I posted a game from an old Golden Knights correspondence tournament from the days when the championship was run by Al Horowitz of Chess Review magazine. Those were the "good old days." No computers, you played with post cards and all that. 
     The following game is from one of those tournaments. When I went over it the other day with a couple of engines, I was surprised to discover how complicated it was and considering we didn't have any engines the game was actually quite well played. 
     I played overly aggressive in the opening and black's staunch defense lead to him having a slight advantage though probably not enough to win. I was hanging on by the skin of my teeth until move 30 when I missed a fantastic move that would have drawn. I found it two moves later, but it was too late. My opponent was from Canada and I remember that he owned a furniture store.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment